Monday, October 5, 2009

Shepherd's Pie

It started with a roast.

I used a rump roast because that's what I know. You could use whatever roast you like. I cooked mine in the crockpot, with sliced green pepper and yellow onions, I filled the crockpot with low sodium beef broth until it was half way up the roast and added a packet of Italian Seasoning. Then I cooked it on low for an entire day.

Shredded the meat, and used some that night for philly cheesesteak sandwiches.

The next night was shepherds pie. So this is how it goes.

- Cook half a bag of frozen corn and half a bag of frozen peas. (You could cook up a entire bag of the corn, green bean, and carrot mix instead) I think its yummy with any sort of veggies, I even cooked up some diced celery until soft and threw it in.
- Mix veggies with leftover shredded meat, peppers, and onions.
- Mix up a packet of brown gravy or make your own out of the broth you cooked the meat in, and pour over veggie/meat mixture.
- Top with pre-made mashed potatoes- You could use some you had left over, I used the canned potato pearls because I was too lazy to make homemade. I mixed some cheese in my potatoes before I baked it, I used cheddar but you could obviously use anything.

Bake at 350 until the potatoes have slightly golden on top. This served 8 people easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment