Thursday, May 7, 2009

Bacon Wrapped Chicken and Grits

If you know me, you know that I LOVE bacon!! I was really craving bacon wrapped chicken. So that's exactly what we had for dinner. I wish I had taken pictures for this post but then I would be craving it all over again. I was almost positive Chad would not eat the grits, but what do I know?? He loved them, his plate was cleaner than mine!!

This served just the two of us because we really liked it. I am sure it could serve four, it was really filling. I served the grits on the plate, sliced the chicken roll-ups, laid it over the grits and drizzled with the gravy.


Chicken-
-2 chicken breasts- split (like you do for piccata)
-blue cheese
-dried thyme
-dried parsley
-4 pieces bacon

(You could use goat cheese or feta in place of blue cheese, and it would be yummy to add sun-dried tomatoes, or roasted red peppers)

So it's pretty self explanatory. You sprinkle a little cheese on each of the four pieces of chicken. Then sprinkle with the thyme and parsley, I like lots of thyme. Roll up to the best of your abilities. Wrap one piece of bacon around each chicken roll-up. Roast in 425 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, or until bacon is slightly crisp and chicken in firm.

Grits-

-1 cup chicken broth or stock
-1/2 cup water
-1/2 cup cream
-3 Tbsp butter
-1/2 cup quick cooking grits (or cornmeal for grits and polenta)
-Sea salt
-3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Bring stock, water, cream and butter to simmer. Slowly whisk in grits. Reduce heat to low, cover and let sit until grits are creamy and soft. Stir occasionally, 5 minutes or so. Add a pinch of sea salt and the cheese, stir until well mixed.

Lemon Thyme Gravy-

-2 Tbsp butter
-2 Tbsp flour
-2 cups chicken broth or stock
-1 tsp dried thyme
-Salt and pepper
-Splash Lemon juice

Melt butter, whisk in flour and cook about 1 minute. Whisk in broth/stock and thyme. Cook until thick and hot. Season with salt and pepper, take off heat and stir in lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment